Registration Renewal Fees in Virginia
Renewing your registration will require you to pay a few types of fees: your vehicle registration fee, a late fee (if your registration is already expired), local registration fees for Virginia Beach residents, an emissions inspection fee (if applicable) and, if you choose to renew through our site, our agency fee. The fees are broken down as follows:
Vehicle Registration Fee:
- For a passenger vehicle below 4,000 pounds, you will pay $40.75 to renew your registration. If your passenger vehicle is between 4,000 pounds and 6,500 pounds, you will pay $45.75 to renew.
- Pickup truck renewal fees range, based upon the vehicle’s weight (up to 10,000 pounds), from $40.75 to $51.75.
- Mopeds, Autocycles and Motorcycles can be renewed for a fee between $20.25 to $28.75.
- Commercial and Farm Trucks, Commercial Buses and Non-Commercial Trailers are all renewed at a rate that is based upon their weight.
- Commercial vehicle renewal fees vary depending on the weight and type of vehicle. Private carriers pay from $45.50 to $1,323.10 depending on their weight. For Rent and For Hire vehicles go up to $1,329.50. Tow Truck renewal fees range from $101.50 to $401.50. Rental Passenger vehicles can be renewed for fees from $30.35 to $104.15 and Common Carrier and City Buses vary from $30.85 to $130.75
Late Fee (if applicable):
- If your decals have already expired, you will pay a $10 late fee when you renew.
Local Fees (if applicable):
- You may be charged a local registration fee if the vehicle you are renewing is garaged in a location that participates in the DMV’s Local Vehicle Registration Program. This fee is typically only charged for Virginia Beach residents. Passenger vehicle fees range from $30.00 to $35.00. Motorcycles pay $23.00. To renew a Trailer registration, you will pay local fees from $7.50 to $25.50 depending on trailer type. Larger commercial vehicles have local registration fees ranging from $24.00 to $85.00.
Emissions Inspection Fee (if applicable):
- The state of Virginia requires garaged vehicles in certain counties to undergo emissions testing. If your vehicle requires this, you will be charged a $2.00 fee when renewing.
Third Party Agency Fee:
- This site charges an agency fee of $39.99 to process your online transaction with the state on your behalf. This fee is not required and will not be assessed if you choose to renew your vehicle through the official state portal. There are valuable benefits associated with this fee, including bonus coupons, accessible email support, error-free processing, and much more. We also guarantee your satisfaction, so if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.
- On the checkout page for your renewal, you will see the above listed fees detailed according to your county and vehicle specifications. The total cost to you will be clearly itemized for you prior to payment.
- Please note that the fees that you will see associated with your vehicle on this website are an estimate based upon the information you have provided to us (car type, vehicle location, etc.) and the final amount charged to your card may vary slightly when we process your transaction with the state.